Do you enjoy food and wine but don't know how to best enjoy them together? Allow us to be your virtual sommelier and help you learn how to make the most of your entire meal!
The Differences Between Red & White Wines
Before we jump in to proper pairings, we want to help you understand the basics of wine. You may be surprised to learn the color of the wine is not affected by the color of the grape; the grapes can actually be used interchangably! So if red wine and white wine are both made from the same grapes, how are they so different?
- White Wine is made by fermenting the juice pressed from the grapes.
- Red Wine is made by fermenting the juice pressed from the grapes along with pieces of the grapes, including the skins and even sometimes the stems! The solid pieces are removed once the wine has been fermented. It is the solid pieces that account for red wine’s darker color and more intense flavor.
- Rosè is made with a hybrid method. This skins are fermented in with the grape juice just as with red wine, but they are removed early in the fermentation process so that only the juice remains just like white wine.
Pairing Your Wine to Your Meal
"Red wine with red meat, white wine with fish," is a fairly safe rule of thumb, though it is a very limiting one. The best pairings take into account the cooking style, the type of sauce that is being served, and the texture of your meat. To keep this article from running the length of a novel, we've listed a quick guide for you to follow when pairing your main dish to your wine:
- Red meat (beef, roast, steak, etc.): Cabernet, Merlot, or Malbec
- Lamb: Cabernet, Zinfandel, Malbec, or red blends
- Ham: Pinot Noir, Merlot, Zinfandel, red blends, Pinot Grigio, or Riesling
- Poultry (turkey, chicken, etc.): Pinot Noir, red blends, Chardonnay, or Riesling
- Pork roast or tenderloin: Cabernet, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Malbec, Chardonnay, or Sauvingnon Blanc
- Seafood (lobster, shrimp, etc.): Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Sauvingnon Blanc, Pinto Grigio, or sparking varieties
If you plan on throwing a dinner party, these suggestions will guarantee that your meal truly shines. Though, your meal will shine regardless if you're serving it in your own custom outdoor kitchen! If you're ready to use your backyard to its full potential but aren't quite sure how, give us a call at (888) 747-4554 or contact us online. Or, if you already know exactly what you want, request your free estimate and get started today! You're going to love working with Unlimited Outdoor Kitchen.