Unless you're a bachelor, chances are, you're not planning to (or — ahem — not allowed to) design your outdoor kitchen as a man cave. However, you still want to be able to turn the heads of your guy friends and impress them with your outdoor paradise.
Let's look at the things your outdoor kitchen will need in order to do just that — and the best part is, the ladies (or maybe just the one lady that matters) will like it, too!
Manly Essentials for Your Outdoor Kitchen
- The Right Grill. Whether you go with a ceramic kamado grill, a gas grill or a charcoal grill, just make sure you choose a grill that suits your cooking style, preferences, and budget. Do you want something big that cooks a lot of food at once, or something smaller that doesn't take up too much space? Don't be afraid to customize your grill so you end up with something that really makes your outdoor kitchen shine.
- Refrigerator. Obviously, you need a refrigerator in your outdoor kitchen. What else are you going to put your beer in?
- TV. Unless you want your outdoor living space to be a ghost town during football season, you better have an outdoor television installed so you and your friends can watch the game while you're grilling out.
- Smoker. Maybe your friends are vegetarian. No judgement, we swear! On the other hand, nothing is going to make them more jealous of the rest of us carnivores than a smoker that prepares delicious pulled pork, beef brisket and more!
- Shade. Whether it's a pergola or some other type of awning, make sure you have a source of shade in your outdoor living space because nobody wants to sit around in the direct sun.
- Activities. Always keep a deck of cards, a football, or perhaps some cigars on hand so that the guys have something to do other than sit and watch you demonstrate your grill master skills. If the woman of the house agrees, you may even want to get a dart board or a ping-pong, foosball, or pool table.
- Comfortable seating. If the guys are at your place to watch the football game, they're not going to want to sit in a wooden chair — regardless of how perfectly it suits the space. Make sure there's comfortable seating so they can kick back for a few hours without getting a back ache.
- Drink accessories. If you thought "accessories" didn't belong in your manly outdoor kitchen, think again. So long as you're planning to pour your best Scotch or whiskey for the guys, drinking rocks are a must. Also called whiskey stones, these small stones chill your drink without melting and watering it down like ice cubes do. Prefer to serve mixed drinks instead of straight liquor? Make sure you have a shiny stainless steel drink mix set.
Ask a Professional
If you're the stereotypical type of man who doesn't like asking for directions, then you may also bristle up against the idea of calling on an expert kitchen designer to help you create your ideal outdoor kitchen and living space. However, our designers aren't here to squelch your big ideas — they're here to make your big ideas even better so that Unlimited Outdoor Kitchen can turn them into reality. Contact us today to start talking design!